Let’s talk bodyweight exercises. The next two workouts I will be uploading for you are bodyweight workouts. While all of my workouts can be modified to do without any equipment, I wanted to also design some pure bodyweight workouts for you. I feel that fitness should be accessible to everyone. Don’t let a lack of exercise equipment stop you from getting or staying fit and strong. In addition to providing no excuse workouts, I also want to show that bodyweight exercises are no joke! They are a great choice for achieving gains in strength, building muscle, boosting cardiovascular fitness and burning fat. Don’t believe me? One look at a gymnast (especially a rings gymnast) or a quick internet search of guys/gals demonstrating super-human strength while doing chin ups or “flag poles” in the park will show you that bodyweight training can get you JACKED!
Benefits of bodyweight exercises:
1) Super efficient workouts. Since there is no equipment involved, bodyweight workouts make it easy to quickly transition from one exercise to the next. Shorter rest times equal boosted heart rate and serious calorie burn.
2) Combined cardio and strength training in each move. Pressed for time? Bodyweight exercises kill two birds with one stone. You can do an entire workout with bodyweight moves, or even add them into your strength training routine. Performing bodyweight cardio sessions (such as 1 minute of burpees or jump squats between strength exercises will keep the heart rate pumping while still encouraging muscle and strength development.
3) Mega fat-burning in a short period of time. Just a few minutes of bodyweight training can have a major impact on your metabolism. Try adding some burpees into any workout routine and THAT will make you a bodyweight believer!
4) Effective for all fitness levels. Bodyweight exercises can be easily modified to challenge any fitness level. If you are more fit and want to make the exercises more challenging, perform the exercises faster, add in extra reps, or perfect your form.
5) Excellent for improving core strength. Most bodyweight exercises engage the abs and other muscles that make up your core. Improved core strength is not just aesthetically pleasing, it also improves your functioning as you move through your daily tasks, improves posture, balance and athletic performance.
6) Convenient! Bodyweight exercises help to eliminate obstacles to working out. Say goodbye to excuses such as “no time”, “no equipment”, or “no gym membership”. With bodyweight exercises you can get your cardio and strength conditioning in the same exercise, you can squeeze in your workouts wherever you are, and you don’t need to buy an expensive gym membership or home equipment.
7) Fun! Say goodbye to boredom. There are countless bodyweight exercises, and even variations on each exercise, that can spice up your workout routine. Using a variety of exercises not only beats the boredom blues but it also helps break through fitness plateaus.
8) Free! Bodyweight training is free! You don’t need a gym membership and you can do it at home, outdoors, at the office, or on vacation!
9) Effective! Since bodyweight exercises often involve compound movements (movements that engage numerous joints and muscles) they give you RESULTS! Compound exercises such as push-ups and lunges are very effective for strength gains and athletic performance.