These are so crispy and tender that no one would ever guess they are not fried. There is no oil at all in the recipe, and I use panko instead of regular breadcrumbs. Panko has less sodium and sugar than regular breadcrumbs and zero saturated fat. Panko also has more fiber and protein!
Dunk these in your favorite low cal dip, like Greek yogurt ranch dip or Greek yogurt garlic aoli. Mmmmmmmm.
Are you ready for the recipe? Warning: These are not really guilt-free. Be prepared for the guilt of refusing to share.
- 4 medium zucchinis, quartered in strips
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup panko
- 1 tsp fresh or dried parsley flakes (*substitute Italian seasoning or cajun spice)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine parmesan, panko, and parsley seasoning (or seasoning of choice), and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the two eggs.
- Working in batches, coat the zucchini sticks in the eggs and then dredge in panko mixture, pressing lightly to coat.
- Place zucchini on cooling racks over an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and crisp.
- Serve immediately (they are tastiest when warm).
- *Note: You can play with the flavor of this by subbing a different seasoning for the Italian seasoning or parsley flakes. Try cajun spiced zucchini fries, or Moroccan spiced zucchini fries. Yum!