I recently posted a Pizza Zucchini Boat Comfort Food Hack, which is TOTALLY delicious. But, for those of you who don’t like pizza (what?!?!) and still want to try a delicious and NUTRITIOUS zucchini boat, here is another way to do it. I made these for dinner a few nights ago and they were delicious and easy. Even better is that they were VERY filling and satisfying. They are full of so many good things and very healthy. This boat thingy is so versatile! I’m in love.
Three of these full-sized turkey-stuffed zucchini boats are less than 300 calories and packed full of fiber, protein, and vitamins. Filling and delicious!
I wanted a high-protein dinner, so I made this one with lean ground turkey, but you could essentially top with any delicious concoction your ingenious mind can create! Bon Appétit!
- 5-6 medium zucchinis, halved lengthwise
- 1 tsp olive oil
- zucchini scoops, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lb lean ground turkey
- 3 tbsp fat free chicken broth
- 1 tbsp currants
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- Halve the zucchini lengthwise
- Scoop out a little of the center with a spoon (retain for the filling)
- Dice the zucchini scoops and set aside.
- In a nonstick pan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, stirring until softened.
- Stir in curry powder, cumin, turmeric, salt and cayenne. Cook for 2 mins, continually stirring.
- Add ground turkey, and cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in chopped zucchini scoops, chicken broth, currants, peas, lemon juice, and honey. Stirring gently.
- Serve with a sweet or spicy chutney drizzled on top. This is key to putting the deliciousness over the top!
- You can also use this filling in phyllo pastry to make yummy phyllo samosas!