Move of the Week: The Squat Front Kick is a great exercise for both fat burning and lean muscle building. Squats are an effective, prescription tried-and-true exercise to tone the glutes and legs and by adding a kick, you are targeting the core muscles more as well as increasing the fat burn. It’s a “no-excuse” exercise that you can do anywhere and no equipment is necessary! Go as fast as you can, while being sure to keep good form. Your heart will pump and your muscles will burn! Click photo for video.
1) Stand with your feet a little more than shoulder width apart and hands in guard position.
2) Contract your abs and keep them contracted throughout the entire movement.
3) Bend knees and lower into squat position.
4) Return to standing, bringing knee up.
5) Complete a front kick with your raised leg.
6) Be sure to re-chamber your leg at the knee and then bring it back down (you are making your muscles work extra hard here)! That’s one rep. Repeat alternating legs for 24 reps (12 each leg) of 3 sets. Alternatively, you can turn this into a Tabata and set your timer for 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off for 8 rounds (4 minutes). This is one of my favorite go-to Tabata’s in between sets on strength training days.
Beginners: Try to kick to waist level. Advanced: Try to get the kick as high as you can. Can you get it higher than your head? This is a great exercise to do in front of a mirror to see how high you can go. Aim for a kick in the head! 😉 Tip: Transfer your weight to your heels during the squat to ensure you are properly working the target muscles, without putting undue stress on your ankles and knees.
Follow me on my YouTube channel (link in bio), Facebook, Pinterest, and on my blog for free workouts, fitness & health tips, motivation, and healthy recipes. Have a beautiful day, everyone!
Train. Nourish. Transform.