This noodle-less lasagna recipe is the bomb, if I do say so myself! A delicious and healthy low fat, low carb, high protein, high fiber lasagna comfort food hack, with lots of nutrients. By replacing the lasagna noodles with thin sliced zucchini you can create a delicious, low carb (gluten-free) lasagna that’s loaded with vegetables, and you won’t miss the pasta! This meal really satisfies hunger and you really get a bang for your calorie buck – no empty calories here and lots of good nutrients!
I calculated the macros on this and they are awesome. One large serving (1/8th of the large 13×9 pan) is:
Carbs: 19.5g (all complex carbs)
Sugar: 13.8g (most of this is naturally occurring)
Compare that to regular lasagna and for the same size serving, you’re at approximately 840 calories, 30.95 grams of fat, and 88.58 grams of carbs (simple carbs). Yikes! Plus you don’t have all those good veggies to fill you up – not much bang for your hunger buck.
For those of you with small children, I know you’re asking, “Do your kids actually eat this?”, well – no. My kids are super picky so I’m sure some would but mine won’t even try it. When I make this, I reserve some of the meat sauce, add in spinach and/or pureed carrots and put it over regular pasta for them.
- 1 - 15oz container of fat free ricotta cheese
- 2.5 lbs - 99% fat free ground turkey breast
- Lawry's seasoned salt, to taste
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1 - 16 oz bag of frozen spinach
- 1 - 24 oz jar of Ragu pasta sauce
- 4 large zucchinis
- 1/2 cup of shredded Pecorino/Romano cheese (or low fat mozzarella cheese).
- Lightly spray the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- In a frying pan, season the ground turkey with Lawry's and Worcestershire sauce and cook.
- Wash and slice zucchinis length-wise into 1/4 inch thick strips, lay out on two baking sheets, and roast for approximately 10 minutes, until pliable (you can skip this step but your lasagna will be slightly more watery).
- Defrost spinach and in a add to ricotta.
- Add pasta sauce to cooked turkey mixture.
- Place a layer of zucchini on the bottom of the baking pan and top with turkey mixture and then a layer of ricotta/spinach mixture. Repeat layers until ingredients are gone, ensuring that top layer is zucchini. There should be 3 layers of zucchini and 2 layers of turkey mixture & ricotta spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 30 minutes.
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 4.3g
- Carbs: 19.5g (all complex carbs)
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Sugar: 13.8g (most of this is naturally occurring)
- Protein: 47g
- Compare that to regular lasagna and for the same size serving, you're at approximately 840 calories, 30.95 grams of fat, and 88.58 grams of carbs (simple carbs).