As a busy health-conscious mom (and a lazy chef) I’m always looking for ways to make meals both healthier and EASY! However, the meals also have to be tasty, so I created this easy crock pot taco soup recipe and it’s DELICIOUS! Even the kids love it and keep asking for it! So, if you are a taco lover, lazy cook, health-freak, or all of the above you will love this recipe! Enjoy!
Low Fat Taco Soup
A delicious, nutritious low fat low carb taco soup that is full of flavor and super easy to make!
- 1.5 lb lean ground turkey 93% lean
- 1 sweet (or yellow) onion, diced
- 1 15.5 oz can can of black beans, with liquid
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 14.5 oz cans peeled and diced tomatoes of the no salt added variety
- 1 15 oz can low sodium fat free chicken broth
- 1 4oz can mild diced green chile peppers
- 1 1.25 oz package taco seasoning mix I used Trader Joe's brand but you can use any low sodium brand
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded OPTIONAL
In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey until browned. Drain, and set in the slow cooker.
Sauté the diced onions until browed in the same pan used to brown the turkey. Add to slow cooker.
Add the black beans (with liquid), tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, green chile peppers, green peppers, red peppers and taco seasoning mix to the slow cooker. Stir and cover. Set to low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
Plate and garnish with fat free sour cream, avocado, a small amount of shredded Mexican cheese blend, tortilla chips, and chopped green onions.
OPTIONAL: You can choose to sauté 1/2 a shredded cabbage as a base to pour the soup on. This adds a great amount of fiber and substance without the calories! Enjoy!